Job hunting is no easy feat. With all the steps involved in the process and the tough competition in the market, you’ll need lots of time and effort wading through postings, filling out applications, and waiting to hear back.
That said, the job search scene has changed drastically in the last several years. Where people used to check the classified ads, you now have the Internet to apply for different opportunities. Of course, searching for a job online has made it easier to find jobs, but it’s also become overwhelming because of all the available resources and information.
So to help you out, here’s a guide on how to search for a job online and maximize the efficiency of your search.
Search and apply online to the latest jobs in your area. Get in touch today!
Tips for Your Online Job Search
Conducting an online job search sounds easy at first, but it’s easy to get lost in a sea of hundreds or thousands of job postings and remote opportunities. Thus, you should start by building a solid game plan to use your time wisely. Check out the tips below to increase your chances of hearing back from an employer or staffing agency in Charleston, SC more quickly.
Determine Your Career Goals
The best way to start your job hunt is by identifying your career goals. As a fresh graduate or first-time job seeker, you should think about where you envision yourself in your career. This provides a sense of purpose and gives you a better idea of what jobs and companies to apply for online.
Even if this isn’t your first time browsing through job listings, it’s still helpful to reflect on your career and decide how you want to proceed moving forward. Think about what you have achieved so far and where you see yourself in the coming years. It’s natural to change your plans as you move along your career journey, so always remember to re-assess and think about whether your initial goals still hold.
Build Your Resume and Cover Letter Properly
When it comes to online job applications, your resume and cover letter will play a huge role in the hiring outcome. They’re the first things that recruiters see from candidates, so it’s important that you make an impact with them and catch their attention. To do this, you should take the time building your resume and cover letter, especially if it’s your first time applying.
Format your resume correctly and include relevant experience and skills that align with the position you’re aspiring for. Make sure you also include keywords from the job title description to pass through Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS). Around 75% of candidates fail the screening process due to low scores from the ATS, so it’s important to optimize your resume accordingly.
After, write a compelling cover letter that explains why you’re a good fit for the company and qualified for the job. Make sure you also show your passion and enthusiasm for the role. This can sometimes make the difference between acceptance and rejection since employers can see how committed you are about the position.
Come join the Bridges Staffing family. As one of the premier Charleston, SC employment agencies.
Network with Professionals
Networking can be a powerful tool for job applicants, especially if you still haven’t built much professional experience. It allows you to find hidden remote work opportunities, grow your connections, and seek advice from others. Now that the job market is so competitive, networking also gives you a competitive advantage through increased visibility for employers.
It’s understandable to feel hesitant about networking, but don’t let this fear stop you from trying. Think of it as a way to connect with new people and build relationships rather than a be-all-and-end-all in your job search, so you can create more organic interactions. Here are some tips that can help you get started:
- Start with your inner social circle, such as your friends
- Connect with people from the same roles or industries
- Write recommendations for people you have positive experiences with
- Create a compelling headline about who you are and how you envision your career trajectory
Clean Up Your Social Media Profiles
Before you conduct your job search, make sure to check your social media profiles for negative content that can harm your chances of getting hired. A good starting point will be to Google yourself to see what shows up since 43% of HR professionals do this to research candidates.
In most cases, your social media accounts will show up in the search results, so it’s important to keep your photos and information professional. Now that employers and recruiters are paying more attention to their applicants’ online presence, they can accept or reject someone based on what they find in their search.
Narrow Your Search
While there’s nothing wrong with applying for as many jobs as possible, narrowing your search makes it easier to zero in on the most relevant opportunities. Logically speaking, you’ll have the highest chance of acceptance in roles that match your qualifications and skills. Thus, it would save you time and effort to focus on these applications instead of trying everything out, especially roles that are clearly out of your knowledge or skill set.
Post Your Resumes Online
Aside from applying on job search sites, you can also try looking for sites that allow you to post your resume online. For example, employment agencies in Charleston SC or staffing agencies in North Charleston SC can connect job applicants to companies looking to fill vacant positions. So you can send your resume to them to widen your search radius and increase your chances of getting a job opportunity.
Use Job Search Engine
Job search engines will be your best friend during the application process. They’re easily one of the best job searching tools to use since they make it easy to view hundreds of job listings on a single platform. Of course, you’ll need to filter through these postings by using the right search terms, but having many options in one place makes it easy to mass-apply to companies.
Browse open job opportunities here.
Best Job Search Engines for Applicants
As mentioned in the tips above, job search engines are one of the best answers to how to search for a job online. So to save time in the job hunt, here are the best job sites you should use. Aside from optimizing your search to find relevant opportunities, make sure you also sign up for job alerts to get notifications right when new job postings go live.
- Indeed. Indeed is the world’s largest job site, featuring millions of listings from various sources. A study found that the site delivers 2.5x more hires globally than other sites combined, which makes it no surprise that it consistently ranks as the top job search engine. Aside from this, Indeed is free to use, so it’s really the perfect destination for any job seeker.
- Glassdoor. If you want to learn more about what it’s like to work for a certain employer before applying for them, you can check out Glassdoor. This site allows you to search for job opportunities and read about the company’s work culture, salary data, and benefits. You also get to see employees’ reviews and interview experiences, which can help you prepare if you decide to push through with your application.
- Ladders. Contrary to other job sites, Ladders is unique in that it only provides listings with annual salaries of at least $100,000. This proposition makes it a great site for experienced professionals looking for high-paying jobs.
- LinkedIn. While LinkedIn is more recognized as a professional networking platform, it’s also a great place to scout job opportunities. After filling out your profile, you can apply to open positions posted by different companies. Of course, recruiters will likely be looking at your LinkedIn profile in the screening process, so it’s important that you optimize your profile and update it accordingly.
- AngelList. AngelList is the best site for job seekers who want to work in startups. Like Glassdoor, it’s also highly transparent with salary ranges and recruiters, so you get to know who exactly will be reading your resume and cover letter. The platform provides a text box for your cover letter, so make sure you maximize this to highlight why you’re a good fit for the role.
- ZipRecruiter. ZipRecruiter is a popular choice for employers since it allows them to send their postings to hundreds of job boards in a single click. That said, you can also create an account as a job seeker and potentially get connected to employers based on ZipRecruiter’s matching technology.
Other Online Resources
While job sites are the most commonly used resource to find a job online, you don’t need to limit yourself to these search engines. Here are other resources you can use to search jobs online:
- Company Websites. Some company websites may advertise openings on their Careers page. If not, it’s still useful to check these to learn more about an employer. Get to know the company’s history, mission, vision, core values, and objectives to see if the company is a good fit for you. And if it is, you have a clearer idea of how to customize your resume or approach your interview.
- Remote Job Sites. The pandemic has led to a surge in remote positions, so it’s worth exploring these to find opportunities outside your geographic area. Some popular platforms include We Work Remotely and JustRemote. As their name suggests, they provide listings for partial or fully remote jobs.
- Social Media Platforms. Aside from LinkedIn, you can also browse other social media networks like Facebook and Twitter for potential jobs. Some companies may have dedicated Career pages on social media to advertise openings. If you’re using Twitter, you can search relevant hashtags to try finding new postings.
Find High-Quality Careers Through Bridges Staffing Agency
There’s no secret formula to conducting the best job search, but taking the time and effort to plan ahead makes all the difference. If you’re looking for high-quality careers in 2022, Bridges Staffing Agency can help you advance your career by providing you with relevant job opportunities from companies seeking qualified candidates.
Finding a job online can be challenging, so allow Bridges Staffing Agency to assist you in your search. Contact them today at (843) 612-8414 or apply online through their website to be considered for potential employment offers.
Want to explore more options? Here are guides and tips for landing a job of your dreams.